Thursday, November 15, 2012



We get all kinds of questions from our members, especially when it comes to nutrition. People say that weight loss has about 30% to do with exercise, and 70% to do with what you eat. Local nutritionist Julie Starr-Wood offered to spread some of her knowledge with us. I wanted her to focus on the topic of breakfast. I so often hear about people skipping this meal. Some of you I see mid afternoon and they have yet to eat anything yet. Read below to get some pointers and input from Julie about this important meal. 


                                                            BREAKFAST. EAT IT….please.

I don’t have too many rules for my nutrition clients; but eating breakfast is one of them. What you eat in the first 1/3 of your day has a profound effect on your diet, food choices, and mental and physical energy through the remainder of the day. I know that sounds so “nutritionist” of me- but hey, I am a nutritionist. Being a nutritionist for several years, I have heard a lot of excuses as to why people don’t eat breakfast. I will take some time now to respond to the most common ones:

“I don’t have time”.
Yes you do. It takes an average of 2 minutes to make breakfast, and 5 minutes to eat it. We all have seven minutes- its just about making it a priority.  Anything that we aren’t used to doing feels like it takes a lot longer then it takes. It is the build-up and the anxiety of adding something new. Thankfully, we are complex creatures with the ability to adjust our behavior- set your alarm 10 minutes earlier, plan what you are going to eat the day before, and do it.

“I’m not that hungry when I first get up”.
When I say that you need to eat breakfast, it doesn’t have to be when you first wake up. Think of breakfast as your first eating episode of the day- happening between the time you wake up and 10:30. Ideally you want to eat within the first hour you wake up so your blood sugar doesn’t continue to drop and that you receive the benefits from the breakfast meal- like nutrients and calories to function. The other response I have to this excuse is that we are so easily trainable when it comes to our food routine.  If you make yourself eat breakfast at 7:30am for a week, by the following week you will most likely want to eat at that time.

“I’d rather save my calories”.
This actually brings me to my second rule, which is to never skip a meal. Don’t play games with hunger- it always wins, and it wins double-time. When people let themselves get too hungry, they often opt for higher sugar and fatty foods when they do allow themselves to eat. The other reason to not skip breakfast or any meal for that matter is that we need several eating episodes during the day in order to get the nourishment and nutrients we need.

“I can’t figure out what to eat”.
Truthfully, in my sessions, this excuse usually comes out as “I don’t like eggs” or “I don’t like oatmeal.” The things that people think you can eat for a healthy breakfast is often very limited and boring. There are so many fabulous foods you can eat, be creative- the simple guidelines to a your breakfast is that it should consist of a lean protein, some fruit or veggies, and a carbohydrate- oh, and a little fat. Protein keeps you full for longer and regulates blood sugar, as does fiber, which you can get from your fruit, veggies, or whole grains.

“I workout in the morning”.
This is a more complicated answer, but I’ll keep it short. The type of exercise definitely effects what you need to eat prior, in addition to the time of the morning as compared to when you wake up. If you don’t want to exercise on a full stomach, then split your breakfast up into two. Eat something 20-30 minutes prior, and then the rest of the meal afterwards. Make sure to drink water too.

Eat breakfast because you deserve to.  We all work long hours and have busy lives. We need food for fuel and nutrients; we need it to think, to smile, and to enjoy our days. Take a few minutes out of your morning routine to nourish yourself- it doesn’t have to be anything fancy, nor does it have to be a typical “breakfast”- leftovers actually make great breakfasts. Here are some of my favorite breakfast meals.


Two eggs, ¼ avocado, salsa, and whole-wheat wrap.

Simple Smoothie of ½ banana, ½ packet of instant oatmeal, blackberries, and spinach.

Hard-boiled egg, roasted tomatoes, hummus

Oatmeal with scoop of canned pumpkin, cinnamon, and drizzle of agave

Leftover veggie and chickpea stir fry, brown rice.

Yogurt with walnuts, ½ banana, drizzle of honey

Be creative! Think outside of the box. Don’t be rigid- the more realistic you are the better. There are plenty of choices out there if you don’t want to eat your breakfast at home- grab an egg white wrap or oatmeal at a cafĂ© or coffee shop.  Lastly, there will be times where the choices aren’t the best, don’t skip the meal, opt for the better choice.

Eat. Live. Enjoy

If you would like to speak to Julie and get your you know what together before the New Year, you can contact her through her website:  http://www.jswnutrition.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment