Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Protein packed salad!

Kale & Sweet Potato Salad


A few years ago while living in San Diego where there were endless choices for healthy food eateries I came across this "salad." I'm a sucker for warm foods especially when it starts getting cooler out. I am also a sucker for something I can make once and have the rest of the week since I am always on the go. This salad is also delicious when served cold.

Ingredients:
Kale- put in pan with water and a little vinegar and cook til bright green(this batch got a little neglected)
Sweet potatoes- I use two, just cut into little pieces and roast (I also added parsnips this time which are a great addition)
Scallions- 3 scallions chopped
pine nuts- roast them first in a pan (any nut will do, i have used almonds or cashews whatever is on hand)
QUINOA- this is my FAVORITE. a great carb alternative, PACKED with protein. I bought the regular white and the red kind from whole foods. soak and then just boil until they look like little snails.

Combine all those ingredients and ENJOY! I do sometimes make something to "dress" it with, but it is yummy and sweet without any dressing at all. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment